Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Millions of ants in our house!!!




Ants, ants, and more ants!!!!  I have experienced ants in my pants while in the bush but never did I expect to wake to ants in my bed.  One day last week, I woke early in the morning to read my Bible in bed under the dim light of my flashlight.  While reading, occasionally I felt a small sting from what I thought were bugs.  I smacked my legs and continued my reading.  From time to time, I heard the sound of papers moving in my room.  I was sure we had another rat in the house.  I took a couple quick glances toward our food storage area but did not see any rats.  After being bit a few more times it hit me, DRIVER ANTS!!!!!!!!  That's right, our house was infested with driver ants.  Some people call them army ants others call them traveling ants but regardless of the name, these ants leave a path of distraction wherever they go.  I sat up in my bed and shined my flashlight on the floor to the sights of thousands upon thousands (maybe millions) of ants marching straight into my house.  I woke Melanie and the war was on!

  
This line of ants stretched across our entire property and went into the next.  Their final destination?  OUR HOUSE!!  That's right, they were marching under our back door.  
We started our battle by bug bombing our room.  Our room became a bug gas chamber.  Next, we went outside and began to reap destruction on the entire colony.  We sprayed the line of ants that was closest to our house and then set up a perimeter of poison to greet the rest of them as they came.


These ants are known for traveling in large colonies and destroying everything in their path.  The army ants form tunnels in which the smaller ants march through.  The larger ants face outward from the tunnel.  They have pinchers and are ready for battle.


By the time the war was over, the ants had eaten 3 of our baby chicks and had killed a rat from our house.  We were thankful for the dead rat but could have lived without the ants.  Our house looked like a battle field.  The dead bodies of ants covered our floor.  Though we had a mess to clean up,  the victory was ours!

Isn't life fun!  We thank God for the wonderful adventure He allows us to live.  Everyday has it's own challenges.  Each challenge is a gift from God that keeps life fresh and interesting.  In the end, our family laughed around our breakfast table as each family member retold the war against the ants from their own perspective.  Thank you Lord for good family memories!  

1 comment:

  1. And I thought we had ant problems in Haiti! I've never experienced an intrusion quite like that. Good thing you had bug bombs and ant spray on hand!

    ReplyDelete