Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Romans Devotion #3: God's Slave


Early each morning, I wake my oldest son, Christian, around 6:30 so he can spend time alone with Jesus.  We believe Christian is old enough to begin having his own quiet time in addition to our family’s morning devotions.  I typically make him a glass of his favorite hot tea and we drink our teas together, sitting on our back porch, while the sun rises.  For me, this is one of my favorite times of the day.  
Two days ago, Christian and I talked about what it meant to be a servant of Christ.  During our discussion we mentioned that true servants put others above themselves and don't demand their own rights.  Little did I know, my servanthood would be tested that day.
Crazy day at the bank:
LBDI Bank on a less busy day
Early that morning, I had to go to the bank to withdraw money.  Unlike America, going to the bank in Liberia is a big ordeal.  As I pulled my motorbike into the bank's parking lot, my heart sunk as I saw the long line of people who were standing outside.  Typically, I would have turned my bike around, deciding to return at another time when the bank was less busy, but we are out of money so I was forced to stand in line.  
Liberia is different than America in every way.  Even the way you stand in line is different.  In America, your position in line is based upon the time you arrive.  Those who were first to show up are at the front of the line while those who were last are at the back of the line.  Liberian lines are completely different.  Those who are most important are at the front of the line and those who are least important are at the back of the line.  If you are important, you simply walk to the front of the line and those who are not important are expected to recognize your status and welcome you to the front of the line.  
As a Christian, who came to Liberia to serve the poor, I could not bring myself to cut in line.  So, I got off of my bike and took my place at the back.  Immediately, those around me told me to go to the front.  I told them that they were more important than I was and that I was fine waiting in line.  
This is where my patience was tried.  While standing in line, I pulled out my pocket Bible and began reading, trying to prepare for our upcoming pastors' conference.  The sun was beating on me while sweat poured from my body.  I quickly learned that I was unable to concentrate so I put my Bible back in my pocket and looked toward the front of the line.  
Next, I decided to try to pass time by calculating how long it would take me to enter the bank.  From where I was standing, I could see the top of the head of the person who was standing at the front of our line.  I looked at my phone to see the time.  Countless times, “important” people walked past our line, and were greeted at the bank with an open door while the poor were being overlooked.  Several times these “important” people stopped to greet me and encouraged me to join them at the front of the line.  Again, I told them that I was not more important than those who were around me. It took 40 minutes for security to allow the first man from our line in the bank.  
To make a long story short, I finally reached the bank’s porch.  From my new vantage point I could see the guard and began to give him the death glare, trying to get him to move our line.  Little did I know, I would never move past the bank’s porch.  In my disgust, I told one of the security guards who passed by that he better get our line moving or I would take my business elsewhere.  This guard entered the bank, spoke to the other security guards and then opened the door and called me by name, waving for me to come to the front of the line.  How could I possibly walk to the front?  Am I more important than those I came to serve?  Now, the whole crowd was looking at me.  I told the guard that I would wait in line.  People around me instantly began talking.  They told me that I was the first white man they have ever met who waited in line.  They told me that they highly respected me for what I did. 
I wish this was the end of the story but it wasn’t.  In time, I made it to the front of the line, with only a few people in front of me.  It was now time for the bank to close.  The security allowed the few people in front of me to enter the bank but for whatever reason decided to close the door right in front of me.    
Remember my devotion with my son Christian earlier in the day.  A true servant has no rights and does not demand his own rights.  God gave me such a wonderful opportunity to model Christian servanthood but I blew it.  While the guard started to close the door, I held the door and said again, “If you don't let me in this bank, I will take my business elsewhere!”  The guard simply said, “Please step back… excuse me” and with that, the door was shut in front of me.  I returned home vexed, with no money.  
Today, we are studying Romans 1:1-7.  These verses teach us about being God's servant.  This portion of Paul’s letter to the Romans is known as his greeting.  Typical letters in Paul’s day started by the author stating his name and his credentials.   This allowed the audience to know by who and what authority they were writing.  Next, the author would write a short greeting and then address his audience.  

Romans 1:1-7
1. Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God.
2. which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy Scriptures, 
3. concerning his son, who was descended from David according to the flesh 
4. and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord,
5. through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations,
6. including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.
7. To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints:  Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 

Paul's Cradentials:
Read verse 1 again and see if you can identify Paul’s 3 credentials. 

Credential 1:  Servant of Christ Jesus.  
The word servant is the same greek word for the word “slave.”  Can you imagine introducing yourself using the word "slave"?  The world around us is intoxicated with titles.  Everyone wants to have an important title associated with their name.  The same was true in Paul’s day.  Think of all the important titles Paul could have chosen to use.  Paul was the author of Scripture, he had started numerous churches, and he had sacrificed and suffered greatly for the sake of the Gospel.  Despite all the high titles he could have chosen, he chose the title “Servant of Christ Jesus.”  
As you reflect on your walk with Christ, can you describe yourself as Christ's slave?  The highest position in God's Kingdom is the position of a slave.  A slave wakes in the morning, receives his instructions from his master and then goes about his day doing the his master's work.  This description of a slave should reflect every Christian's life regardless of occupation, age, or gender.  
Isn't it interesting how the Bible describes God's church.  God describes His church as a body and each of us as a body part (1 Corinthians 12).  Some are hands, some are feet... but none are the head.  The position of head is reserved for God alone (1 Col 1:18).  Let me ask you a question, what part of the body does the thinking?  Does the hand do the thinking?  No!  The head does all the thinking.  Can you imagine what your physical body would be like if each part thought on its own and did its own thing?  I am convinced that we, as Christians need to do less thinking and more listening to our wonderful Head.  As we develop the habit of listening and faithful obedience, we become slaves of Christ.  

Credential 2:  Called to be an apostle.
The word apostle means, “sent one.”  Paul lived his life on mission.  Each day was filled with divine purpose.  He used both his times of joy and his times of suffering as opportunities to broadcast God's love to the watching world. 
The greatest honor for a Christian is to be chosen and sent by God.  The one who is sent has been given both a sacred trust and a fearful responsibility.  Those who are sent actually get to be ambasitors of God.  Wow, can you imagine being God's ambassador and speaking on His behalf?  
Perhaps you think this honor is reserved for a few select Christians.  That is not true.  This amazing, thrilling honor is for every Christian.  2 Corinthians 5:20 says, "We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us."  Your assignment from God for this day is simply a "listening" prayer away.  Please don't waste your life.  Please don't waste today.  Your life can impact eternity today.  You are called and are being sent (Matthew 28:19-20).  Fulfill your sacred trust and your fearful responsibility! 

Credential 3:  Set apart for the Gospel of God.  
The words “set apart” means to put a fence around something.  If I want to set apart my yard, I put a fence around it.  Did you know that our God is a fence building God?  Have you ever allowed God to build you a fence?  God's fences are great!  They have a wonderful way of narrowing our activities, making us more fruitful.  It is not until you allow God to build your fence that you discover God's specific calling for your life. 
Most Christians have never allowed God to define their lives. They live with no Divine purpose nor specific calling.  Life simply happens to them as they bounce from activity to activity.  
To allow God to construct a fence around your life requires you to have complete trust and surrender to God.  He alone determines how far your fence goes and what is contained inside it.   
Most people are too fearful to allow God to build their fence.  They want to remain in control.  "If I allow God to define my life, He may send me as a missionary to Africa," they fear. Brothers and Sisters, run toward God.  Trust Him.  Surrender everything to him.  Hold nothing back.  Embrace whatever life God is calling you to.  Truly enjoy the wonderful journey of a Divinely directed life.   
Paul's life was, "set apart" by God for the Gospel.  God wants to set your life apart and give you a specific calling.  This calling is what He created you for.  You will be most satisfied as you live the life you were created for.  

God is the only qualification you need:
While there are many additional points we could draw from today's Scripture, I want to focus your attention on one more point.  Please reread Romans 1:1-7 and pay special attention to verse 5.  Notice the specific order of each word. 
In verse 5, Paul mentioned that he received grace and apostleship from God.  Notice Paul didn’t say that he received apostleship and grace.  The order of words is important.  He said, I received grace first and apostleship second.  In essence, Paul is saying, "it is only by God’s grace that I am able to be an apostle."  This statement not only illuminates Paul's humility but it reveals God's qualification.  It was not Paul’s abilities that qualified him to be set apart for the Gospel.  It was God’s grace that qualified him.  This same grace qualifies us to be servants of God.  This grace takes the most hardened sinner, turns him into a saint, and sends him on mission for Jesus.  Smile, God's grace toward you is abundant!
  
Prayer to Pray:
Father, my prayer today is simple.  I surrender everything to You.  I want to be a slave of Your Gospel.  I want to live today on mission for You.  I am running towards You.  I trust You.  Please build a fence around my life and reveal my life's purpose.  Thank you for Your abundant grace that not only saves me but also qualifies me for Your service.  I love you with my whole heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment