Pages

Friday, September 30, 2016

Roman's Devotion #2: Love Letters from God


Mysterious Box
I was raised in an old brick farm house, located in the middle of nowhere, sitting on top of a hill overlooking corn fields.  All my childhood memories took place in this home.  As a young child, I enjoyed playing in our home’s walk-in closets.  These closets magically transformed into club houses, workshops, and wonderful hideouts as I played.  Deep in my bedroom’s closet sat a mysterious box.  As far back as I can remember, this box was there, collecting dust.  It was like the paint on the walls to me.  I paid no attention to it because it had always been there.   

My Mom and Dad have a unique love story.  Their story is of life long love.  They met and fell in love in early junior high school and never dated anyone else.  My Dad is the only man my mom has ever kissed and my Mom is the only woman my dad has ever kissed.  As a child, I thoroughly enjoyed the rare times when my parents told the stories of how they fell in love.  These are some of my most cherished memories.  

One day, as a teenager, I decided it was time to clean out my closet.  I spent the whole day cleaning as I reminisced my childhood.  At the end of the day, the only thing left in my closet was that old mysterious box.  For the first time, I wondered what was in the box.  “How could I go through my whole life without knowing what is inside,” I thought.  I carefully carried the box and placed it on my bed.  After brushing off the dust, I lifted the lid and discovered the box was full of my parents love letters, dating back to the very beginning of their relationship.  What do you think I did with those letter?  Yes, you are right, I did what every respectful, loving son would do….  I read every one of them.  Mom, if you are reading this, I’m sorry…  I learned a few things from this experience.  First, I learned that my parents had a very righteous relationship.  Second, I learned the power of a well written letter.  You see, my parents had told me stories about how they fell in love but these stories paled compared to reading the actual letters that made them fall in love.  In some ways, I was able to actually experience my parents relationship through their letters. 

Did you know that the majority of the books of the New Testament were written in the form of letters?  These letters are called “epistles” which means, “letters.”  It wasn't until I was studying in college that I learned these letters existed   I remember sitting as a college student and reading these Biblical letters over and over again as I marveled at the fact that I was actually reading the Apostle's letters. Out of the 27 books of the New Testament, 20 are letters.  Have you ever wondered why God chose to put letters in His New Testament.  He could have chose any literary style but He chose to use letters.  I believe one of the reasons He did this was because these New Testament letters have a wonderful way of transporting us back in time some 2,000 years and enabling us to celebrate the early churches victories and grieve their losses.  

The new Testament contains letters from James and Jude (brothers of Jesus), Paul the Apostle, John the beloved (He is the one who leaned against Jesus’ chest during the last supper), and Peter.  The book of Romans is a letter written from the Apostle Paul to the first church that ever existed in Rome.  As we study this book, allow the Holy Spirit to take you back in time and experience its message.  

Now, lets take this one step farther.  

2 Timothy 3:16-17 says,
“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work” (ESV Translation).

2 Peter 1:20-21, “…No prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation.  For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit” (ESV Translation).

If all Scripture is inspired by God and the Apostles were moved by God in the things they wrote, are these letters not ultimately from God?  Could it be true that when we read the book of Romans, we are actually reading a love letter from God Almighty to His church in Rome?  Wow, what an amazing privilege we have to read letters written by God.

By the time we complete our study through the book of Romans, I want you to know this book like you know the back of your hand.  These first two devotions are important because they give us a good foundation to build off of as we study.  

Application:
Our God is a passionate lover.  He wrote letters through the apostles to His churches as they were being started.  Have you ever written a love letter to God?  If God were to write a love letter to you, what would He write?  Take time this week to get alone with God.  Write a letter to God.  Start your letter with, “Dear God.”  When you are finished, keep you pen in hand and begin to pray.  Ask God to write you a letter.  Allow the Holy Spirit to minister to you as You write down the thoughts that God brings to your mind.  Start God’s letter with these words, “Dear Child.” 

Prayer to pray
Father, thank You for Your love.  It is deeper that I will ever understand.  I want to know You better.  You say, “Draw near to me and I will draw near to you.”  Father, I am coming as close to You as I know how.  Please draw me even closer.  However close a human can be to You, that is how close I want to be.  I give You this day.  Please help me be aware of Your abiding presence with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment